Locomotives of Yellow & Green
18” x 24” Acrylic on Canvas, 2008
The port city of Hamilton, Ontario lies on the western shores of Lake Ontario. Known as the “Steel capital of
Canada”, Hamilton is home to two of Canada’s largest steel producers, Stelco and Dofasco, and is also a major
terminal on the Canadian National Railways mainline between Toronto and Niagara Falls. In 1931 a passenger
station located in the north end of the city was completed. Along with hosting trains from Toronto and Niagara
Falls and connecting trains to New York city, it also hosted trains to and from London/Windsor and as far away
as Chicago. This required reverse movements several miles to the north at Bayview jct. to enter and leave the
At the beginning of the sixties the CNR had completed its conversion from steam to diesel-electric locomotives,
however, the presence of steam is not completely gone. The station is adorned with decorative wall carvings
featuring 4-8-4 Northerns and 4-6-4 Hudsons, their exhaust has also left a permanent mark above the station
A low winter’s sun shines on the station and its busy platforms. On one track sits train #101-102 the daily to
Niagara Falls about to depart with FP9 No. 6508, built by Generals Motors Diesel Division in London, ON in 1954.
This Locomotive would serve the CNR for 24 years before being retired from the roster. Arriving on the next
track is CPA16-5 No. 6705 and CPB16-5 No. 6805 with train #15 “The International limited”. Both built in 1955
by the Canadian Locomotive Company in Kingston, ON. Neither of these would last until the end of the decade.
Both trains are wearing the Classic CNR passenger paint scheme of 1954 featuring a round emblem and the
words “Canadian National Railways” enclosed in a red maple leaf on a black background. The colours of yellow and
green will soon be replaced by red and white and “Canadian National” will be replaced by a CN “wet noodle”.
Copyright © David A. Oram